Thursday, August 12, 2010

Librarian Fired- Not Me

A librarian in Iowa was fired for not revealing her height and weight on a city ID card.

I'm not sure how I feel about this- after all, it's a pretty stupid reason to get fired. I'm more concerned about the fact that they are putting fingerprints on their ID cards- to me, that seems weird.

I've been listing my height and weight on things for as long as I can remember- military ID, driver's license, health forms etc. I honestly don't care who knows how much I weigh. (BTW, I've seen pictures- I definitely weigh more than this chick!) I'll say it right here- I'm Stacia McGourty, I'm 5'4" and 185 lbs (as of this morning anyway).

The librarian in question (do not remember her name, do not feel like looking it up) stated that the PTB could not give her a good reason as to why they needed that information. They say it has something to do with FEMA, they were using their template and that information could help identify bodies in case of an emergency. If that's their rationale, why don't they just keep fingerprints, DNA, or dental records on file (not on the ID card- that's just weird). No authority in the world is going to make a definitive identification based on weight- it fluctuates way too much, people lie, and you can't tell just by looking anyway! (At least I can't, I would suck as a carny.)

This is case of stupid- on both sides. It's stupid to ask for information that isn't going to do any good anyway, AND it's a stupid reason to lose a good job.

My advice- lie. It's not like anyone's going to force her on a scale. (I'm assuming anyway- the article didn't mention anything about forced weigh ins.)

All she needed to do was put down a number that was half-way believable. Isn't that what we all do anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment